Friday/Saturday - 17th/18th november 2006
Bonding - Days 16 & 17
Thought I should put two days together as the monotony and predictability of the days here do not make for interesting reading everyday!! There’s only so many times you can describe what you had for breakfast or what you saw on the way to the Baby Home or what the weather is like today!!
Not fair! Everyone has teeth except me!!!
This morning (Friday) we felt one step closer to going home when Alfiya brought us in to a room in the Baby House and told us to take out paper and pen and write down points on what our speech should contain for court… both of us will need to speak so will just talk about different parts. One of us will address the judge and then introduce themselves. Then the other makes an introduction. We have to say why we chose Kaz (easy), why Ust-Kamenogorsk (because Taraz was not an option), how we chose our child, the bonding, our finances, our daughters at home and what we can offer Sasha. We also have to petition the court to allow us to change his name but leave his birthplace and date of birth unchanged.
Spent all of the time between visits today writing up the speech – we were pleased with it and although it probably is too long we left it like that. It felt exciting to be finally at this stage. Excitement was shortlived when this morning Alfiya said we could not have court on Monday because the registration forms have not arrived back from Astana yet. As it does not affect our flight date home we did not get too wound up about it but nothing is ever certain. She confirmed to us in the afternoon that it WILL be Tuesday or Wednesday.
Any more interesting books?!!
We broke with tradition the last two days and did not go to Pizza Blue at lunchtime because we needed to organize speeches and photos. We also have to show the judge photos of each day of bonding.
We also dined out the last two nights. Last night Declan, Sue & I tried the Chinese again – lovely – never knew I liked jasmine tea so much. Tonight we went with our gang and Janna, Michael & their daughter to the Italian. It was lovely. I am sure it is strange for them that the rest of their group are gone home now and they are still waiting for court.

Daddy says he still loves me even if I wear pink tights and a pink hat some days!!!
Never mentioned Alex – and of course he is the reason we are here!! He continues to favour his momma especially when others come in to the room and today he cried and reached for me when I handed him back to BiBinur. That felt good! Declan got to change the first dirty nappy – I did not want to do him out of the honour!!!! We had a cranky morning and a great afternoon.
Between visits today Declan & I watched the movie ‘Mrs Henderson’ on the laptop. The one thing I would say to anyone coming out to Kazakhstan to adopt is that a laptop is essential – well not essential but it makes life a lot easier and is so handy. Speaking of technology our camera went on the blink and is no longer working – The others have been very good about coming up to visit us and take photos and Sue gave us a disposable camera, so we are not bereft but I have been unlucky with it and also with the Kingston getting fried!
Russian lesson for today –
Shot pojowlsta – Bill please.
Mawzhna – May I? Can I? I need…
We have been using that one a lot.
Ya liublilu – I love…..
We have given a copy to the carers and asked that they will write something for Sasha for him to have. They have written a lot but I would love to know what it says. – there’s a job for Alfiya. Think I will also bring back Elena’s messages and get her to translate them too.
Till Manana – don’t know haw to say it in Russian!!
Bonding - Days 16 & 17
Thought I should put two days together as the monotony and predictability of the days here do not make for interesting reading everyday!! There’s only so many times you can describe what you had for breakfast or what you saw on the way to the Baby Home or what the weather is like today!!
Not fair! Everyone has teeth except me!!!This morning (Friday) we felt one step closer to going home when Alfiya brought us in to a room in the Baby House and told us to take out paper and pen and write down points on what our speech should contain for court… both of us will need to speak so will just talk about different parts. One of us will address the judge and then introduce themselves. Then the other makes an introduction. We have to say why we chose Kaz (easy), why Ust-Kamenogorsk (because Taraz was not an option), how we chose our child, the bonding, our finances, our daughters at home and what we can offer Sasha. We also have to petition the court to allow us to change his name but leave his birthplace and date of birth unchanged.
Spent all of the time between visits today writing up the speech – we were pleased with it and although it probably is too long we left it like that. It felt exciting to be finally at this stage. Excitement was shortlived when this morning Alfiya said we could not have court on Monday because the registration forms have not arrived back from Astana yet. As it does not affect our flight date home we did not get too wound up about it but nothing is ever certain. She confirmed to us in the afternoon that it WILL be Tuesday or Wednesday.
Any more interesting books?!!We broke with tradition the last two days and did not go to Pizza Blue at lunchtime because we needed to organize speeches and photos. We also have to show the judge photos of each day of bonding.
We also dined out the last two nights. Last night Declan, Sue & I tried the Chinese again – lovely – never knew I liked jasmine tea so much. Tonight we went with our gang and Janna, Michael & their daughter to the Italian. It was lovely. I am sure it is strange for them that the rest of their group are gone home now and they are still waiting for court.

Daddy says he still loves me even if I wear pink tights and a pink hat some days!!!
Never mentioned Alex – and of course he is the reason we are here!! He continues to favour his momma especially when others come in to the room and today he cried and reached for me when I handed him back to BiBinur. That felt good! Declan got to change the first dirty nappy – I did not want to do him out of the honour!!!! We had a cranky morning and a great afternoon.
Between visits today Declan & I watched the movie ‘Mrs Henderson’ on the laptop. The one thing I would say to anyone coming out to Kazakhstan to adopt is that a laptop is essential – well not essential but it makes life a lot easier and is so handy. Speaking of technology our camera went on the blink and is no longer working – The others have been very good about coming up to visit us and take photos and Sue gave us a disposable camera, so we are not bereft but I have been unlucky with it and also with the Kingston getting fried!
Russian lesson for today –
Shot pojowlsta – Bill please.
Mawzhna – May I? Can I? I need…
We have been using that one a lot.
Ya liublilu – I love…..
We have given a copy to the carers and asked that they will write something for Sasha for him to have. They have written a lot but I would love to know what it says. – there’s a job for Alfiya. Think I will also bring back Elena’s messages and get her to translate them too.
Till Manana – don’t know haw to say it in Russian!!

No comments:
Post a Comment