Sunday, November 19, 2006

Bonding - Days 3 & 4 - Sunshine, Roses & a few Thorns!!

Friday/Saturday - 3rd/4th November 2006

Communication Problems:
Although we have managed to buy a phone card we cannot get it to work in the hotel… Although we have found out the hotel has a business centre for internet it has only one computer which is very slow….
Although we have found a place 10 minutes walk away called Pizza Blue, which allows us to use our laptops and has wireless connection it is sooo slooow and temperamental.
Sometimes it works, more often it doesn’t.

After getting our medicals today Aine and I needed to get them off to Dr. Jenista. It was to be Saturday before we managed to get them off. Elena, our coordinator met us in the lobby and accompanied us to the Baby House. We arranged to meet with her afterwards to discuss any problems or questions we had.
Alex had a welcome for us today and we were told we could bring him outside as the weather is beautiful, sunny and not cold. Of course they wrap them up so well and we need to go shopping!!! All the clothes we brought which are not many are too big for him – the 6-9 months are way too big. I guess he is only a 3-6 month size. He weighs 6, 600g, is 64cm long, and his head circumference is 44cm. He loved it outside – I was the photographer and he sat on his daddy’s lap watching all that was going on around him. They have a nice little playground right in front of the home.

Got to see Aine & Alex’s baby. They will call him David Andrew. He is almost 7 months old and almost the same weight as Sasha. He looks so healthy.
View of Ust-Kamenogorsk from the 10th Floor of the Hotel Irytsh!




We could only stay outside for a short while so brought Sasha back in and played with him. He loves the little ball, and links and the photo album that has Darrelle and Elena’s picture in it. We took lots of photos and Aine took a real nice one of the three of us which we managed to send to Darrelle and Elena. They are getting on fine and had a great week with Maureen and the Dooleys. Maureen sent some great photos of Elena and Odhran dressed for Hallowe’en. What a pity I had to erase them as they took up too much space in my inbox. Poor Declan did not even get to see them.

Our afternoon visit was fine. Sasha is giving us lots of smiles, seems placid and pleasant. He can pull to standing if you hold his tiny hands, and would kick away from Declan to get across to me. He can get to where he wants by crawling, although it is not a real crawl but he has the idea. They said he is very active and likes to eat – wonder where he is putting it.

Tonight we found a restaurant, went searching again called the Pancake House – well we don’t know what it is called but we had a lovely meal there. Ordered P-va bolshoi (large beer). They don’t seem to be big on wine here. I will try to learn a new word in Russian every day now that my head is beginning to function again. So far I know: Dos-vi-daniya – Goodbye – Paka
Spasibo – Thank You
Pajolsta – Please or /You’re welcome
Frites – Chips – where did that come from/
Masla – Butter

Of course that is just the phonetical spelling – we have to rely on Sue to read the menus, explain ourselves to people and help us with our shopping!!! Speaking of shopping there is a large supermarket across the road from the hotel. It stays open for 24 hours - just like at home!!!!

There are a lot of American couples here:
Kate & Brent – adopting Aida, 1 yr old on Monday and will be called Ruth.
Janna & Michael and their 6 yr old, Briann adopting a 7mth old boy – going to call him Keehan.
Joanie & Nick from Texas with her mother and 9yr old daughter & 8 yr old son adopting a 10 month old called Igor. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH he is soooo cute! I know you are just having a blast. I think i am worried about bonding with another baby that is why i have put it off---but no longer! Grace is so easy and i just think i can do this again! i look at pics of when she came home and think---WOW that time has flown.

When do you head home? Will you stay until the court date or do you leave and go back? are you keeping his name--Alex? I can't wait to meet him!!! What happened to his little head, he has an owie? I need to know sizes...we are going shopping! We actually went this weekend and saw so many cute things for boys that I want to start buying for my little guy. Do you have a theme for his room?

Ust---are they more forth coming? Have you been able to visit the entire baby house? I want all the details! I know you probably have been blogging--and James is suppose to set my computer up tonight.....i can't wait to hear it all. If you see Galina tell her I am interested in a very young boy---ethnic group doesn't matter :)---who does she work for or is she independent? Would you prefer Taraz?

SORRY----enough questions.

I am so HAPPY for you and Declan -----I printed y'alls picture and have it up on my Fridge.

Diane

Adrienne said...

Hi Diane
>So lovely to hear from you...Yes, Alex - Sasha is a little boy - 11 months old, blond hair, blue eyes, very smiley and placid... Very very bonded to me, Screamed yesterday when a carer came in and was chatting to him - wanted to hold him. She gave him right back.... Declan is so taken with him... Think my memories of Taraz were too good and nothing here could measure up.. Would love if you were here with us... Our travelling companions are lovely but I would love to know what you would feel if you were here.
>
>Alex will be one on 20th Nov which we think will also be our court day. We don't think we will be able to get out before the Saturday flight... which is 5 days after court. Flight only goes Tuesday and Saturday and we won't make the Tuesday flight.
>
>Elena is doing great and so is Darrelle. Hope Mum and Dad are doing okay with them.. They are so much better in their own routine.. I miss them but am happy that they are happy..
>
>Communication has been so difficult.. think I will be doing the blog when I get home. Ust is much bigger than Taraz.. lots of shops but... no Eldos.... Translator so different.. Elena the coordinator is lovely. Galina has left Frank and has two families here at the moment so I hope to meet her. If you want to send me photos I will try to get them printed of Gracie - could that work?!!!
>
>>
>Promise me you will come and see us this year
>
>Darrelle is already talking about Disney and the girls turning 5!!!
>
>Please keep writing and I will try to reply..

>Love and kisses to all
>Ad & Dec
>