December 16th 2006
Kazakhstan celebrates 15 years of Independence
Today the Kazakhs are celebrating 15 years since they have become an independent nation…. In time this wonderful country will be a prosperous nation and already the signs are there. We even see big changes in the last three years since we arrived on our adoption journey to bring home Elena Meibh Roisin Colleran…

Watched a fireworks display from the hotel window
While that is all very wonderful,… for us it meant that as this two day celebration fell on a weekend Monday and Tuesday would also be public holidays, therefore four more days will pass with no work being done on the passport and visa processing…..
Because of the holiday we had only one visit to the Baby Home today. Alex & Daniel both had colds but were in good form…
Daniel & Alex waiting for 'couchette' - food!!! The little chairs are great as they slide in and out and are attached to the table...
The 24 hour supermarket across the road from the hotel which we also visit regularly...This suited us as we spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to sort out our flights…. Bauryzhan has provisionally booked me a flight to Almaty on Monday and an overnight stay in the Berkhana Hotel should I have to travel on Tuesday 19th… So they needed to know my plans.. Because I am reluctant to leave before all the others take the babies’ out of the Baby Home for the final time and because I want to help Declan settle in in Almaty we have decided that I would try to change my flight to the 22nd.. That will still allow me to get to the two girls before Christmas…
We frantically tried to call every number we had for British Airways in Kazakhstan – no luck – all closed for public holiday… We had various people trying to get in touch with Irish travel agents that might help – no luck…
We finally got through to BA in London. Declan changed his flight to New Year’s Eve. My options were less favourable – pay 1000 euros extra to fly on 22nd or 100 euros to fly on Christmas Eve but not get on the early flight out of London so would not reach Ireland till 9pm Christmas Eve. Santa will be there before me!!!!!!!!
Hope he does not fly British Airways as his toysack could go missing!! Our luggage still has not turned up almost one week later!
As 22nd was not an option it looked like I would have to fly on 19th… I was not happy…. I was really disappointed about not making it to Almaty with Declan, Alex and the others…. Once again we adjourned to the Pancake House for some ‘vittles & beer’ and while discussing my woes I just knew what I had to do – travel Christmas Eve… That way I can do both – I will be home for Christmas ..just…. and I will make Almaty for four nights…
Just one thing – I will not be able to cook Christmas Dinner!!!!! Anyone willing to give me a leg of turkey and some Brussels Sprouts?!!!
Declan has changed my flight – I am happy!!!!!

Declan is not unhappy either - now has time for some leisurely reading now that other pursuits namely golf, soccer etc has been put on hold....

18 comments:
It became apparent at a later date that all the following information in the next comment was incorrect and that our in-country coordinators were not telling us the truth......but this is what we were told at the time... all families with other agencies were having a smooth predictable process!!!
Hi Mum, Dad & Maureen
Have toyed with then idea of getting a phone card and calling you but with only getting 13 minutes on it and the possibility of an echo I thought it might be a little unsatisfactory and I would make first contact with the old reliable email!!!!
Well. we are in the middle of another trauma and are slowly trying to work our way round this one..... It seems adoption in Kazakhstan is nearing an end - this has been what the powers that be have wanted for a long time and while yet adoptions have not ceased it looks like they might in the near future...... Of course our babies are safe but we are getting caught in a different way.. In the meantime they are making things as lengthy and difficult as possible and of course we are the ones being affected - firstly the long delays to travel and now they have said that a new law has passed in recent days that means instead of 4-7 days to get the passports it is going to take 25 days..... Of course if we had only known that we could have postponed our return trip until they were ready....
We found this out last night at a meeting with our coordinator (who has been trying so hard to fight against this and is so stressed on our behalf that he collapsed and was taken to hospital the day before yesterday) He is a very nice guy and we know it is out of his control but he said that he is trying very hard to get them to commit to giving us the passports after 12 days instead of 25 days!!!! The main Kaz coordinator travelled from Astana to meet with us and explain this last night and we have another meeting scheduled for today... Of course they have asked us not to make this public as each agency must now inform their own clients and as adoption circles are so small we do not want to be the ones to start a panic with would be adopters so we have just said to the other families who have just started bonding here that there are delays with our passports so that is understandable... So, although you do not know any other adoptive couples maybe do not say anything that might lead to someone else finding out!!!!
Of course, you would think that we are all distraught but at this stage with so many hurdles we have had to face I think we are all numb and just keep saying - 'What next?'...
We do not have any choice but to roll with the punches and we know it will come to an end and it will pass...
Since last night we have all done a lot of talking and deliberating and going through all scenarios and I am just copying an email to the travel agency that I have just sent and am waiting to hear back from them... It will save me writing it out again....
Michelle's email.....to end!!!!!!!!
The plan is to leave the baby Home and region next week to fly to Almaty... They are organising appartments in Almaty for the three families.... There will be one 2 family appartment and one 1 family appartment and Declan will stay with Aine & Alex - I would not have liked him to be on his own... Sue & her mother will stay close by...her poor Mom is almost 70 and is a great lady but she so wants to be home.. She is afraid she will fall and break her hip in the snow... Thank heavens for a calm husband - Of course he would love to be going home but he says one of us has to and it should be me and that is why I want to change the 19th to a later return date before Christmas so that I will be with him and Alex a little later and he wont have as many days on his own..
I am also conscious that you are all affected by this unexpected turn of events... and sorry that I am once again going to ask you do you mind finishing out till next Friday in E...?
I know this is a pain for you as you have things to do for Christmas...
Will finish now
Will talk to you soon
Say a prayer..
Love & Best Wishes
Adrienne, Declan & Alex... Waaah!
Hi Adrienne,
Just a quick line to acknowlege your mail. I will Call BA straight away to see what can be done, availability in the run up to xmas is very tight.
Regards, Brian.
Hi to you both...Just read ur email..My God ye poor things....What a trip,but you know things can only get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just finished work so a little email 4 u both...Still takes me forever to write them..So SLOW.....All is great here,heading to dublin tomorrow with Martina...1st fitting of the Wedding Dress...Exciting..Will squeeze some Xmas shopping in too....What 2 better pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Weather here has very much improved...Cold but at least the rain has stopped...Lookin 4ward to the break, even though we have 2 full weddings on the 27th and 28th of December...God I hope we get time to catch up over Xmas...
Seems like so long since I saw or spoke to u...Roll on the Radison on the 3rd of Feb..We'll defo catch up then...
Will go now and start packing 4 the weekend..
HUGS AND KISSES to you both and a special one to Alex..
Take care and hope it gets better for you both..
Fingers X 4 U and St. Anthony too!!!!!!!!11
Regina.xxxxxx
Hi Adrienne,
I spoke with Karen in BA in Dublin, she will waive any change fees but not any upgrades. I will have to reprice your travel requests. Please note you cannot tentatively rebook for another return date. You will incur expenses for any fare differences every time you change. I will be back to you within an hour with prices for what you want to do. The most difficult aspect of this could be the flights from Heathrow, which are choc-a-bloc in the run up to Christmas, but I'll do my best.
Regards, Brian.
Hi Adrienne,
I spoke again with Karen in BA again. As your tickets are old style paper tickets, they will have to reissued on departure at Almary Airport. I can't reissue them from here. Karen did give me a phone number for BA or BMED in Almaty, 73272 724040,which you can call. Due to the time difference you may not be able to contact them out of hours. Otherwise you could go out to the BMED ticket desk at Almaty Airport. Karen will put a note in the booking that the staff there can pick up on, advising that no change fee is to be charged. However you may be asked to pay a fare difference.
Your BA booking references are as follows, Adrienne is YTOQ72 and Declan's is 26LIHH. I am really sorry that I couldn't personally reissue these for you. Normally we issue new style e-tickets, which are easier to reissue, but on this occasion it was not possible as this is not supported by BMED. We will be closing at 5pm Irish time this evening and will open again on Monday 18th December at 9.30am. Feel free to call me if necessary.
Regards, Brian.
Brian
I am slightly confused by your email... have you changed the tickets? And if so, to what ? I do not know what the changes are and this was just to enquire about if it was possible and then we would make our decision on whether I would travel on the 19th or later... I do hope I still have my ticket for the 19th - Excuse me if I sound panicky but I am not sure if you have actually confirmed changes....
Please email me as soon as you can
Thanks
Adrienne
Hi Adrienne,
Just got messages. School frantic this week. Hope all is going well, saying prayers for ye!! Dont have e-mail for Ann or Oranmore ...sorry, will ask Carol to forward them on.
Keep in touch, will e mail u Monday with all news, Christmas party tonight, lots of food!!
Hi to Declan
love Kellie xxx
Hi Maureen
Am forwarding my correspondence with Brian in C........ Travel... Read from bottom and see do you think he has changed my booking... I did not want to change anything just to check out the possibilities and then we would decide on the correct course of action - All he came back with was two new booking references and no details....
I have tried repeatedly to get through to Almaty to BA but they are not answering - today is Independence Day here - two public holidays so maybe that is the reason....
I am really worried now.... I have two bookings here to leave region for Almaty - one for Monday and one for Wednesday and they are waiting for me to confirm which flight I will be going home on.... I am really now in limbo.
I thought travel agents opened on Saturday....
I will try again after two in case they close at lunchtime...
If not I might ask you to call C..... to see what the details are.... He hopefully has not let my ticket go for the 19th...
Never a dull moment here!!!!
How are ye doing?
Regards
Ad
Hi It's hard to know what he has done. I feel he hasn't done anything but is asking you to do it yourself??? Am I right? I can call them and see what is the story? What are your instructions? Just info, no change is that right? Maybe somebody knows Michelles no and can contact her directly if they are closed.
Maureen
Yes thanks! No change just info!!! Availability and any is it same fare for 22nd Dec and 24th Dec for me and 31st Dec for Declan. Confirm that they have not changed my ticket for next Tuesday...
If Michelle is working ask to speak to Michelle...
Tell them I am having no luck contacting BA here at any number - maybe because of Independence Day Holiday..
Also no sign of lost baggage - Declan about to run out of tablets which are in lost luggage...
So, if Michelle does get a BA agent we need a file reference from them for our lost luggage so we can track it online...
Thanks a million
Ad
Hello again Declan and Adrienne...............your news stunned us yesterday................it look like shocking messing about...............a nightmare for you both,but don't be worrying about Darrelle and Elena. Things are very good on that front...........they are two wonderful kids and don't worry, they won't forget you and we'll be here for them and you as I'm sure the good C........s are...............All's going well in E....... with the house, car, routines for the children etc. and will continue to be as long as the need is there... "Don't worry" as your paratrooper song goes Adrienne! Don't get 'down' about this mess either.............. vital to stick it out as a team (and teams/other friends there)............we've great sympathy with you Declan the businessman.............have to be worries and so far away and feeling a bit helpless........you will get support, I know from your colleagues and so on, but if there is anything at all that we, Eileen and I can do, sed tantum dic verbum/say but the word, and we'll be glad to convey messages, do calls, pay any bills.........now there's a thought, if you need cash in any a/c or other (don't intend any interference etc.), just shout. We are all family here!
Now, who's to say that there might not be a turn for the better over the next day or two----------------hopefully so. That, indeed would be great "Christmas" news. We are all praying for something like that to happen. about the luggage..........incredible! John made the point that the airlines carry liability/insurance/responsibility to/for/against such occurances...................It seems the affected passengers are entitled to automatic compensation..............can actually go straight to a store, purchase substitute items for the lost/delayed possessions and claim disturbance/inconvenience moneys. John had experience of that and knows that the airline carriers budget towards these eventualities...........so there now, Declan,give up your smelly ould socks and get stuck in to Aer Lingus??????
What did I leave out? Remind me later and God Bless and keep you both and young ALEX safe and sound.
Albie and Eileen(in loco(but not so 'loco') parentum)
Hi Adrienne,
Just picked up your mail, I accessed it from home on my laptop. I have changed nothing and would never do so without your explicit consent. Everything is still as it was. I will be in the office at 9.30 am Irish time on Monday morning. I think if we're going to make any progress with this we need to talk, so call me on ..............
Regards, Brian.
Hi Brian - Thank you for your response - you beat me to it!!! - Had just logged on to email you to tell you that we did manage to get in touch with BA and have managed to change the bookings... Sorry if I sounded like I was over reacting but I was not sure did new booking references mean new bookings and great n all as email is it is not the same as being able to talk over the phone....
We have found it impossible to contact any BA office in Almaty as yesterday 16th was a big public holiday - Independence Day and it will go on for Monday & Tuesday also.. We did manage to make contact with an office in London yesterday. We still have the same booking references that you gave us.. I will travel now on Christmas Eve... I will pick up my ticket in Almaty Airport.. You mentioned that Karen in BA put in a note about waiving the change fee - (Thanks for that, by the way!) Do I need to say that to them or will they have that information there?
Brian, regarding my flight - I get into London at 12pm and they were unable to get me on the 3.10pm flight to Shannon so am booked on the 7.45 flight..... I have checked online and there is, at the moment lots of availability on the 3.10pm flight.... am not sure how it works but is that an allocation for internet bookings only... Is there a chance that those seats would be released so that travel agents could book them - What I really am asking is 'if it is any way possible I would like to change to the 3.10 flight - you would not even have to confirm that change with me beforehand!!!!! The guy has me on standby but I don't know if that is a long shot and if I am racing against Santa & his sleigh to get to Ennis before him it would be great to get a head start!!!!!
Thanks again for your help!!
Regards
Adrienne
Hi Adrienne,
Delighted you got everything changed. The only reason you had new booking references was that when I received your first e-mail the first thing I did was split yours and Declan's boking into 2 separate references, becuase if you went ahead with the changes you and Declan would be returning on different dates and you cannot have different itineraries in the same booking.
With regard to waiving the change fee, do mention this at Almaty Airport as sometimes officials at an airport ticket desk are under pressure and do not fully read through the booking notes. I explained your circumstances to Karen in BA in Dublin and why you are in Kazakhstan and she was happy to waive the change fee.
With regard to the flight from Heathrow to Shannon, although there is availability on the 3.10 pm flight, this is probably at a much higher fare than the seats on the 7.45 pm flight. The agent who changed your booking probably did so in such a way as to minimise the cost to you. It is likely that a lot of people will not show for the 3.10 pm flight and you will get on it. When you arrive in Heathrow, make your way to the Aer Lingus ticket desk in Terminal 1 and see what they can do for you. The full seat availability which Aer Lingus has is always bookable on the net Aerlingus.com. They don't withhold anything for exclusive booking by agents or anyone else.
Best wishes, Brian.
Hi Brian
Thanks so much for all your help - Great to be able to make contact even on a Sunday!!!!
Very relieved that it is sorted now and hope I can make the 3.10pm flight... Will they charge me the difference in fares if I show up at the ticket desk?
Many thanks
Now, all I need to do is find my luggage - missing for the past week!!!!!
Kind Regards
Adrienne
Hi Adrienne,
Re. fare difference, really down to the individual you meet, how much autonomy they have and whether they are favourably disposed towards you.
Re. Missing luggage, did you complete a Property Irregularity Report (PIR), on arrival in Almaty to notify the airline of the missing baggage? They would need this to carry out a proper search through the international Baggage Tracer system. Did they give you a number at which to contact them to enable you to check on the progress of the search?
Regards, Brian.
Hi Adrienne
I managed to catch up with your blog last night (we have been away & read up to your post where you were worried that Alma wanted a meeting with you & there might be an issue) .. I said to Adu last night ..this bodes for bad news .. whenever Frank what a meeting about an issue you know it’s a bloody big issue ..
I am so terribly sorry for the huge mess you are in .. your decision on splitting you going back home & Declan staying is very likely the best one .. we were faced with a similar decision when we had court in Taraz & thought we wouldn’t get the 2 week waive we decided Adu would go home to Kyle .. I would stay with Sam ..luckily we did get it waived.
If they changed the rules 9 days ago why didn’t Frank tell you before you flew out ? In your case specifically you have the right to be angry .. but all in all you have at least a few days extra with your son before returning home .. and he will be home with you soon to spend a lifetime together with you ..
Please keep us posted on progress & what happens ..
Thinking of you & sending lots of love to you both
Ashley
Post a Comment