Thursday, December 14, 2006

Back in Almaty... Onwards & Upwards to Ust-Kamenogorsk

Tuesday/Wednesday - 12th/13th November 2006
After a good night sleep we were ready to face another day and whatever it might bring! Had slept well, Declan had got two nights sleep in one so has surely caught up… I have just finished my second book since we left so am not up to scratch in the sleep department… Arrived five minutes late for breakfast to be told that ‘Breakfast finished – 10 o’clock’.. Then think they took pity on us and told us to sit down… Had to take a photo of breakfast to show the others in the Irytsh Hotel in Ust as they will be jealous!!!! Had just finished when they arrived out with a plate of pastries and truffles….
Breakfast at the Eurasia Hotel
We were ready and waiting when the driver came for us and he brought us to the airport and we collected Aida enroute. She had our tickets and we saw that we were flying Air Astana not Air Scat… Our relief was shortlived as air Astana has small planes with propellers and as Declan pointed out to me as we waited in line to board very bald tyres – I thought if we have to pray for a safe landing here God won’t hear us over the noise of the propellers!!! Having said that the flight was fine if noisy and the bald tyres held up okay…. Another plus was having no luggage we did not have to wait for any bags!!!

Would you like to brake with these tyres?!

Snowy Kaz

Alfiya arrived to meet us and I think was genuinely excited to see us and we were glad to be back on familiar territory!! Alexei needed to be at the Baby House to collect the others so we traveled by taxi.. There was snow everywhere, roads are covered with impacted snow and the footpaths have snow piled up along… Alfiya said it had been really cold and there had been lots of snow.

Decided to do the ‘ostrich in the sand’ and did not ask any questions related to passports, leaving etc as was afraid of what the answer might be!!! We would know soon enough! Had lovely reunion with our bonding buddies and they were glad to see us back and likewise we were glad to meet up with them again!!! Mind you, they must welcome any diversion in their daily repetitive routine!!!

Will be brief here because I don’t even want to think about it but….. it is not looking good for getting the passports and to be out of here on the 19th. We met briefly with Alma, the head lady from Astana who flew in today and she said they had a lot of work to do tomorrow and would meet with us in the afternoon after we had visited the Baby House…. Here’s hoping she can pull a few strings, or do whatever to get this passport issue sorted!! We have got to be out of here and home for Christmas! I think we all think that if we don’t talk about it it won’t happen!!

Apart from that depressing news we had a nice night – the others were delighted with the little outfits and gifts we had brought for Daniel and David… Met Sue’s mother – she was delighted with her Sudoku puzzle book we brought. We all went out for dinner at the Pancake House – just like old times – ordered Chicken Yaroslavna, and P-va Bolshoi just like old times!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the holiday is going well !! Keep us informed re the issue that mustn't be mentioned.

Liam

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading. Sounds like an emotional roller coaster, fair play to yee. Keep us posted.
Nothing too strange here. Will give you a call when you get back with the wee man. Hopefully you'll be back by the time I'm back Jan 12th. I'll be looking for my rashers and sausages when I land. I'm sure you'll be back in time for the Christmas.
All the best for now. Keep well and safe.
Alf.

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,
Thanks for the update. Unbelievable. Anyway, we will concentrate on the positives. I am praying to a special person for you and I think she might get things moving. I love Declan’s comment about the bald tyres on the plane! Remind me to never travel with him. I have the photo of Alex here at my desk and I am thinking of you.

Love you dearly.
Maura

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne and Declan

Just got your e mail and sorry things are not going to plan but keep looking positively and it will all be worth it in the end. We will keep up the prayers this end and hopefully things will run smoothly from here on in and that you all get home safely for Christmas.

Glad that Alex bonded well with you and that he is happy with his company no doubt that is important at this time too. Does this give you a good excuse Adrienne to have all your Christmas cards late this year - look on the plus side it is a serious task which I will try and tackle at the weekend.

Can you bring some of that snow home for a white Christmas here? I see the bookies have no high hopes of it here this time around. No doubt the kids would love it if you could bring the white stuff home as well as little Alex.

All well here and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Chat soon

Sorry I had to reply like this but since I changed the Computer I am not 100% on your e mail address.

Take Care

Kieran

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I sympathetically sat reading every bit of your email and just when I thought it had to get better, read the next big thing (the loud propellers, etc, on plane) and just had to laugh. I mean, this is the stuff a good reality show is made of.
Please know we are praying. I don't envy your process, but it will be so wonderful once you are home with your latest bundle of joy.

Love, Cherilyn